I was lucky enough to be selected to travel to Beijing, China in November 2017, as part of a group of University of Canterbury students. The reason: a six-week language and cultural exchange programme with Peking University, which is one of the most highly ranked universities in the world and #1 in China. Exciting!
The trip was one of the coolest things I have ever had the privilege of taking part in. It gave us all massive insight into what life is like in China, and what it’s like to be a student at China’s top university. Some highlights of the trip were:
- Improving my Mandarin enough to have basic conversations, order food, and travel
- Visiting the Great Wall of China and Beijing Olympic Stadium
- Flying to Guangzhou, which has a very different climate and culture
- Seeing Steve Aoki play at a massive Beijing club
- Meeting the New Zealand Ambassador to China
- Checking out downtown Singapore during layover and having a late-night swim at the Airport
Thanks to UC and Peking, as well as all the awesome people I met along the way. Also thanks for Education New Zealand for providing funding in the form of a Prime Ministers Scholarship for Asia!
It was an absolute blast from start to finish and we all had too many adventures to detail here, but check out my video of the trip below.